Successful reading depends on having available a repertoire of decoding and comprehension skills and strategies. It also depends upon a reader’s view of reading as a purposeful, informative and enjoyable activity (CSU Journal, 2011.P2). Barnitz said that method of teaching reading should provide opportunity for students to discover the process of total concentration of language and conceptual skill with an emphasis not only meaning intended by the author but also the strategies for constructing meaning for the text.
The SQ3R study system was developed by Francis P. Robinson on 1941 (Soedarso, 2005,P9) SQ3R method is process of reading consisted five steps; these are Survey, Question, Read, Recite and review.
Anne D, Philips defined (Anne, 1996.P229) survey is method to know what we are about to read and this orientation will help students organize the ideas as students read them later Soedarso defined survey is a technique for identifying the material before reading process done completely or it is used to recognize the organization and general outline (Soedarso 2005,P60). Soedarso explained six advantages of survey method.
· Accelerating in understanding of word or sentence meaning
· Gaining the abstract
· Recognizing the important ideas
· Recognizing the formation of the material
· Motivating the reader to read with concentration
· Abridging to memorize more and understand easier
In conclusion Survey is technique which aimed to know the material before reading material completely and to find the important ideas and organization of material. In addition survey is aimed to analyze reading visual help such as graphic, table and map (Soedarso 2005,P60) .
This step is aimed to find specific information about what we are about to read. It will bring to mind information already known, thus it helps the reader to understand that section more quickly (Anne D, Philips 1996.P229). By asking some questions, the reading process is more actively and easier to catch the main idea than reading in usual way (Soedarso. 2005,P63). Question is thinking of a few topics that you will like to learn about section by using four W and one H Question. It can be critical reading to comprehend the material.
This is the main step. In this step reading is unlike usual reading but it is critical reading (Soedarso, 2005.P63). The readers read with concentration whole paragraps and keep in mind the formulated question in step two. In same time the reader search the answer of the questions (Anne D, Philips. 1996.P229). This step is the core of this technique. In this step the reader read over the material with full concentration and tries to find answers of question above.
Recite means writing down from memory what the reader learned (Anne D, Philips. 1996.P229) Soedarso said this step is part to recall the important information (Soedarso.2005.P64). This is the core of SQ3R method in which repetition is done because this step is focused on empowering the memory
Review is an active process (Anne D, Philips. 1996,P 238). Because the human memory capability is limited, so that reviewing is focused on reinforcing the memory of reader to remember the information in long time period. Soedarso commented that beside helping the memory and clarifying the comprehension, it helps to gain the important information which probably forgotten. In practice After finishing the whole steps the reader will review in order to ensure specific information such as title, sub title and important part (Soedarso 2005,P64).
The SQ3R Method sets the stage for interacting with text material. As going through the five steps, the students gain information, formulate questions, think about what is read and try to find answers to questions. The readers also recite information out loud. All of these steps require the use of the reader’s auditory, visual and kinesthetic senses. When more senses were involved, more effective learning takes place. Two of the best advantages of the SQ3R Method are it allows for a great deal with repetitionof the important information in the chapter and in word Repetition as a key of ingredient is systematization of idea.
- Anne, Burns. 1999. Collaborative Action Research For English Languange Teacher . UK: Cambriedge University Press.
- Barnitz, G Jhon. 1985.Reading Development Of Nonnative Speakers Of English Florida Hbj Inc.
- Beatrice, S Mikulecky. Linda, Jefries. 1998. Reading Power Second Edition, Longman. New York.
- Celce, Mariane, Muria, 2008 Teaching English As A Second Or Foreign Language.New York: Heinle And Heinle.
- Shanker, James. 1993. Reading Invatory : Aline Bacon.
- Finocchiaro, Lavenda. 1977 . Growwing In English Language Skills.: Prentice Hall.
- Jeremy, Harmer. 2008 Practice Of English Language Teaching. New York :Longman.
- Kenneth, Croft. 1966. Science Reading. New York : Mc Graw Company.
- Kruidenier, John. 2002. Abe Reading Instruction, Portsmouth : Rmc Research Corporation.
- Nadyne. Bryce, 2011. Teacher Must Find Way To Make Text Book Reading More Meaningfully For Science Student vol. 6, 474. International Reading Association.
- Philips D. Anne, 2007. Steps To Reading Proficiency, Boston : Heinle And Heinle Publishers.
- Protherough, Judith. Atkinson, John. Fawcet. 1989.The Effective Teaching Of English, London :Longman.
- Reading And Thinking In English. 1980. London : Oxford University Press.
- Reynolds, C Marianne. 1992. Reading For Understanding. California :Wadsworth Publishing Company.
- Rice, Ruth. 1992. English Teacher Book Of Instant Word Games. New York : The Center For Applied Research In Education, Teacher.
- Robert Lado, 1990. Lado English Series, New York :Premtice Hall.
- Roe D, Betty. ellinor P Ross. 1990. Developing Power In Reading Forth Edition, USA : Kendal Hunt University.
- Rosenthal. Lisa, Rowland B. Susan. 1989. Academic Reading And Study Skills For International Students, New Jersey : Prentice Hall Inc, .
- Sanggam Siahan, 2008. Issues In Linguistics. Yogjakarta :Graha Ilmu.
- Soedarso, 2005. Speed Reading, Jakarta : Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Stelluto, Donna. 1990. On Your Own Reading. UK :Cambridge Press.
- Suzanne F, Peregoy, Owen F Boyle. 2008. Reading, Writing And Learning In Esl 4 Th :Pearson Education.
- Sugiyono. 2011. Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif Dan Research Development. Bandung : Alfabeta.
- Tricia, Hedge. 2000. Teaching And Learning In The Classroom.Hongkong : Oxford Universty.
- Wiliam, L Hays. 1928. Statistics. USA :Winston Publisher.